Saturday, January 12, 2008

My sister's words.

My sister wrote this poem and I can't read it with out tears in my eyes but I wanted you to read it in full since Betty posted part of it. This is the story of our lives on the farm and all of us felt the way Fleta Powell Aday wrote these words.I have this framed in a nice frame but I can't hang it on my wall because every time I read it I cry.
HOME AGAIN

They say you can't go home again
and I guess "they" should know,
But,oh, my heart is is weary
and I want to go there so.
To set on daddy's lap again
and feel his love for me,
to hear trot a little horsey
as I set upon his knee.
to see mama in the kitchen
doing what she loved to do.
to help her if she'd let me,
but she didn't want me to.
I guess it's not the home I miss
but the felling that I had
that everything would be alright
when I saw mom and dad.

they say I can't go home again,
but maybe "they" don't know.
I think I'll close my eyes and drift
and just see where I can go.
I'll taste the fresh milk again
still warm from the cow
and feel the earth between my toes,
soft and loose from daddy's plow.
maybe I'll hear mama call again
"kids, supper's ready".
and we'll all go rushing in. she'll say,
"wait for daddy".
maybe me, sis, and brother will go
to the creek and spend a day
chasing after crawdads, or on
the pond bank's slippery clay.
they say I can't go home again
but maybe "they" don't know
if I close my eyes and drift
just where my memories let me go.
Fleta Aday

8 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Also, it was the day Momma died that she sat down and wrote this.
It is the way we were indeed.

Favorite Daughter said...

It makes me cry too....Just think Pat we may get to see daddy, Debby. and Mama soon...I am ready

dot said...

What a beautiful poem! I can see why it would make you cry.

Carole Burant said...

Oh Patsy, what a heart felt poem your sister wrote and I can understand why it makes you cry each time you read it. It truly is beautiful. xox

Sister--Helen said...

we have some sister don't we

Annie said...

Fleta's poem really captures the feeling we get when our parents are no longer available to us. It's a blessing that we have memories for otherwise we really wouldn't be able to "go home again".

I understand completely why one would cry when reading this.

Sister--Helen said...

the favorite daughter post was by me not Missy....she is not ready to go yet still has that baby to raise.....just got logged in under her name....

Annie said...

I'll miss visiting with you Patsy but it'll make my homecoming extra sweet. I'm off, tearing out of here.