Thursday, September 23, 2010

Old friends are passing


Seems to me this is the week of death, Fredia Powell has died. I worked with Fredia at Ocoma poultry plant in Berryville Arkansas when her children were youngsters she was married to my 2nd cousin. Fredia had lived a long and productive life.
I had a deep respect and affection for Fredia.
I remember when we bought out the company store at Tyson. I saw Fredia enter the break room and turn to the company store and I followed her to visit. The company was selling steak and as I waited to visit with Fredia the old gal who was in charge was telling Fredia she could only purchase one box of steak.
Fredia was disappointed but not for long because I went to the freezer and took a box of steak and went to stand behind Freida. I told my friend "Fredia I want these steak will you pay for mine?"
Fredia said sure rang up her box also The clerk did and then I told Freida you take my box to your house and I will come by and get them after I get off work. The clerk was mad as a old wet hen but Fredia got her steak.
Jessie Mae Elmore died yesterday she was 85 and I work with her years ago at Tyson. Jessie went through a hard time while she worked with us. Her husband had deserted her and took up with some jazabelle. Jessie would not give him a divorce so he could marry his tramp. He did everything mean and low down he could to Jessie Mae but she would not give him a divorce.
Some time fate takes a hand and this time it did. Jessie Mae's husband got cancer a fast acting cancer and he was not long for this world. His new love dumped him and he came home to Jessie Mae and would you believe she took him in and she nursed him until he died.
I worked at Tyson food at Berryville with Bobbie Bailey and I read in the paper that her husband passed away. I feel like this is the week of deaths.

6 comments:

Galla Creek said...

The first thing I read in the paper are the obits. Larry reads them too. We usually see someone we knew.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your friends. Jessie was more woman than I am. I would have poisoned him when he came home! Hope you are having a good week.

Sister--Helen said...

maybe jesse still had life ins on him...let's hope so....freida and the steaks...well that's just another of our powell blood thing...

Margie's Musings said...

I had a friend who did a similar thing when her husband first left her and then came back when he was ill. She nursed him until he died too.

They are better women then I am too.

Sister--Helen said...

well Rhea king has a friend I know and she used to pee in her husband's pepsi cup.

Finally they got divorced and years later he got sick...She had been sick for years. He contacted her and said he should move back in and they could look after each other....she said suck eggs and die...Those are the kind of people I know...

Erin said...

i know the baileys. i guess you can figure out how without me violating HIPAA too much. mr bailey was better sick. mrs bailey did an excellent job taking care of him. she certainly is a worker.