Tuesday, May 17, 2011

turn the light down low


Today: Sunny, with a high near 68. Calm wind becoming northeast between 5 and 10 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. East wind around 5 mph.
Our government has been slipping laws under the door while we were napping. In 2007 congress passed a law about your light bulb Beginning in 2012 you will no longer be able to buy 100 Watt bulbs and by 2014 the 40 and 60 Watt bulbs will be phased out also. They are to be replaced with a twisty fancy bulb with a cost of 50 dollars each.
A 2007 bill, passed overwhelmingly by both houses of Congress and signed into law by George W. Bush, will make the familiar incandescent bulb subject to strict efficiency standards next year.

The effect will be to make current 100-watt bulbs obsolete — and that has sent conservative lawmakers, libertarians, some environmental activists and owners of Easy-Bake Ovens into a frenzy of activity to get the law repealed or, at least, to stockpile the bulbs before they disappear from store shelves.

I remember the good old days when I worried about how to get the money to pay the light bill soon I will worry about how to get the money to buy the bulb to make the light.

I have a kerosene Lamp that may soon be put to use.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi Patsy, I have a kerosene lamp, too, and I remember when people used them for light when I was a child. My dad always went to bed at dark and got up at daylight. Guess we can do that and save on buying light bulbs. As soon as the sun went down and it got dusk outside he would start taking his shoes off. lol. I can still hear my mother telling him it was too early to go to bed. He never paid any attention to what she said.
Hope you are doing well.

I listened to Donald Trump give a speech the other night on t.v. about the state the U.S. is in and he honestly made sense to me. I don't know that I would vote for him for President but he made a lot of sense.

Sister--Helen said...

all I can say is 'OH MY' now you can figure out if that is about the light bulb costing 50 bucks or Donald making sense.....