Sunday, June 17, 2012

Remember??? Rodney King

http://field-negro.blogspot.com/

Rodney King, the man whose brutal beating by police sparked the LA riots, was today found dead at the bottom of his swimming pool.
The 47-year-old was discovered by his fiancée Cynthia Kelley in Rialto, California at 5am this morning. She allegedly told friends he had been drinking all day and had also smoked marijuana.
In 1991, a video emerged of him being brutally beaten by four white police officers in Los Angeles sparking a debate about racially-motivated police brutality.

Rodney Glen King was 25 years old when he became the symbol of race issues in America.

On March 2, 1991, King and two passengers were driving home after having spent the evening at a friend's house drinking and watching basketball.
At 12.30am, two police officers spotted King speeding in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. According to King, he refused to pull over as he was on parole for a previous robbery conviction and a DUI charge would have violated this.

He was pursued through residential areas by several police cars and a helicopter before being cornered.

After stopping his two passengers Bryant Allen and Freddie Helms were arrested without incident.
King was reportedly two times over the drink-drive limit at this point.

The first officers to arrive at the scene were Stacey Koon, Laurence Powell, Timothy Wind, Theodore Briseno and Rolando Solano.

King stayed in the car and when he did emerge, acted strangely. One officer ordered him to the ground at gunpoint.




1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

I unpacked my treasures. I put the items in my china cabinet. Did you say you got the spanish looking things when you went to see Helen.

I will have to hide the rock from Siggie or she will want it...but I want it.

I am going to let Laura have the Xmas orn. and some way we need to put your name and the year. Laura keeps all the xmas stuff and puts it on the tree each year. They will have an orn. from you.

Siggie will love the nightlight. She understands all about being a Christian. She is a smart girl.

I don't have a tape player...problem.

Of course, the cow bell is my favorite. I will paint it rust or black. Give me a little time.

If I cant read the books they will go to friends of the library here.

I love the salt shaker so much I want to use it and not put it in the china cabinet. Is that ok?