Saturday, May 18, 2013
The Cockatiel was first discovered in Australia in 1770. It did not become popular until the Australian gold rush in the nineteen hundreds.
• The fumes emitted from cookware coated with Teflon can kill your Cockatiel.
• Cockatiel seeds, how do you know if they are good and nutritious?
Sprout them! If less than 70% of the seeds sprout, they have died and also its nutritional value. Place some cockatiel seeds on a container covered with a paper towel. Soak the seeds with water. Make sure you keep the seed moist for the next few days by just spraying them, they should sprout in about 4 to 5 days. You can wash them and can give them to your tiel, they are very good and nutritious.
• Do you know what a Galatiel is? Is when a cockatiel and an Australian bird named Gallah have chicks together
• In the wild, you'll see immense flocks of cockatiels circling the sky in search of large bodies of water where they can rest, breed, and escape from the Australian heat.
• Cockatiels are very sociable birds and will get depressed if they are left alone for long periods of time. They may hit their heads against cages, pull their feathers, refuse to eat, or become angry. It’s best to get a pair of cockatiels if you know you’ll be out of your house for long periods of time.
• Male cockatiels are better are talking and whistling than female cockatiels. In the wild the male cockatiel use sounds to attract females.
• Cockatiels can be considered as the most widely kept parrot other than parakeet or budgie.
• Hand fed cockatiels are more likely to talk than the parent fed ones.
• If having a talking bird is your prime goal you might consider a larger parrot before getting a cockatiel. It's easier for a cockatiel to whistle than to talk.
• The cockatiel life span can reach up to 22 years, though the standard is 15 years. This life span is based on proper care, nutrition and environment where your tiel lives.
• Drafty areas in your house can be very bad for your cockatiel, it can even kill them by making your tiel very sick. Don't place the cage anywhere there might be a direct or indirect draft like air conditioning vents. If you want to find out if there is a draft you are not aware of, place a candle in the area you are thinking of placing the cage. It if flickers, there's a draft there, so find another area for your cage.