Tuesday, October 15, 2013

attention Betty and Fleta

Patsy,

Thank you for helping me.  As you have probably noticed, we spell Rogers without the "D".  My Mom traced our ancestors back to my great-great grandfather, Travis Rogers.  Some of the more important information I have is included below.  I have also attached Page 1 and Page 2 of some information on Travis Rogers that was in a Polk Co. Tn. Historical Society Book which I have.  Again, "Thank You" for your assistance.  

Travis Elisha Rogers was my great-great-grandfather. (b. 5/27/1804; d. 3/9/1889)
Elijah Rogers was my great grandfather (b. 2/23/1833; d. 4/30/1890)
John Garner Rogers was my grandfather (b. 5/5/1879; d. 1/8/1932)
Roscoe G. Rogers, my Dad. (12/4/1916; d. 1/19/2005)
All of the above men lived in Polk Co. Tennessee near the town of Benton, Tn.
 
I am James Garner Rogers (b. 12/22/1945, d. xx/xx/xxxx) – Born in Cleveland, TN and grew up in Polk Co. Tn.  My wife and I now live in Knoxville, TN.
 
According to my Sister-In-Law, “we do not know who was the father of Travis Elisha Rogers, born 1804 in Buncombe Co., Virginia, died 1889 in Matlock (Zion) Valley near Benton, TN.  There was a family that moved to Sevier County Tn. in late 1880's and one of them was Rev. Elijah Fetzer.   I can't get Travis connected to him since he named a son Elijah (your great-grandfather), but it is a possibility.   There is also a Jeremiah Rogers, Buncombe Co., VA., that is a possibility.”
 
Copied from the Clerk’s Record of Zion Baptist Church:
On March 9, 1889, the Lord called from his labors our beloved brother Travis Rogers, born 5-27-1804.  Brother Rogers often spoke of his hopes in Christ, at times his face would be all aglow with joy. But he speaks no more to us of his hope for he has passed over the river of Death and now his hopes are realized in his joys of paradise. In his death our Church lost a faithful and devoted Christian. Goodby, dear brother, until we meet again in the kingdom of our Lord where brothers and sisters shall never part and our Sabbaths never end.


On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM,

No comments: