Monday, January 28, 2008

not John Kenndy october 5, 1988

"Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy" was a famous phrase spoken by American Democratic vice-presidential candidate Senator Lloyd Bentsen to Republican vice-presidential candidate Senator Dan Quayle during the 1988 vice-presidential debate. Jack Kennedy was a reference to John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States. Since then, the words "You're no Jack Kennedy", or some other variation on Bentsen's famous exchange, have become a part of the political lexicon as a way to deflate politicians or other individuals who think too highly of themselves.
I remember this night because I always sat up to watch the debates staying up sometimes until very late even tho' I had to go to work very early.
When the Democrat convention takes place I may be up all night now since I don't have to go to work any more.
I remember once when they were trying to keep Jessie Jackson from speaking and finally agreed to let him speak at 12:00 at midnight and I heard his speech. I remember after the speech was over the Tom Brokaw said "THE LION HAS ROARED" and his speech was one of the best I ever heard.
No longer can I listen to John Kennedy's golden voice at a press briefing and laugh with the crowd when Kennedy with that boyish smile would said something funny.
I can not forget Bobby and the hope he gave me until they put a bullet in his brain.
Oh the joys and the sorrows we Democrats have known.
Now I am reduced To Teddy and no laughter rings in the rafters!

1 comment:

Annie said...

I suspect that Bill didn't take Kennedy's advice to tone it down, to stop stirring up racial issues and so he threw down his gauntlet. I heard tonight on TV that there is speculation that Teddy decided if Bill and Hillary were going to double team Obama then he'd become Obama's champion to even out the match.