Sunday, November 16, 2008

Turkey


The wild turkey thrives in our part of Carroll co. and my father had a lot to do with these bird ranging over our land. In the late 1970's he managed to purchase a small flock of wild turkeys from a fellow in south west mo. and raised the birds on his farm until he died in 1988. My brother who lives on that land tries to keep the flocks increasing and besides the tame turkeys there are large flocks of wild turkeys in the area now. I am sure these bird came from daddy's original birds.
People hunts these birds but if they are caught on our home place they are shown the road.
Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey as our national bird instead of the eagle.
I saw this morning that spam was flying off the grocery shelves like hot cakes and the plant which makes the product has work 2 shifts 7 days a week since July.
The report said instant potatoes, macaroni, rice and beans were big ticket items also.

2 comments:

Judy said...

There used to be a lot of wild turkeys in the area where I had my store. I was a check station for them back then. Turkey season there was in April every year and the hunters were plentiful. I love to hear them gobble. They all gobble at once when it thunders!

Anonymous said...

Hey,don't forget the Bologna. :-)