Saturday, March 21, 2009

oh my.

FAYETTEVILLE — Berryville Mayor Tim McKinney was arrested Wednesday night in Washington County for second-offense drunk driving and possessing marijuana, authorities said.McKinney said early Friday morning that he would issue a press release later in the day.
Bret Hagan, patrol sergeant for the Washington County sheriff’s office, said Friday morning that the charges on which McKinney was arrested were listed on the jail book as misdemeanors, but his office had since learned that McKinney had a previous marijuana conviction.A second marijuana offense is a felony, Sgt. Hagan said. He said officers would ask the prosecutor’s office for a felony arrest warrant and probably give McKinney an opportunity to turn himself in and receive a date to appear in circuit court.

Let me say first that I have never fallen into the marijuana smoking trap. I have had experience with tobacco and licker drinking all legal substances. I think this has more to do with my age group than any special goodness on my part.

I have thought for a long time that marijuana smoking should be legalized or it should never have been made illegal in the first place. I also think the marijuana push in our country was more about the police department wanting to find away to make money with fines and pushing the little person around but now the mayor of Berryville has been arrested twice for possession of the weed and if he was a lowly Tyson worker he would be on his way to prison.

I know people in the 40 to 50 age bracket that has had their lives ruined by the weed law. These people are good people but they have treated like the scum of the earth and it is long pass the time that it is stopped.

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

A little girl at school ...wanting to be in the athletic program in the 7th grade...asked me
Mrs. R can you test positive for drugs if someone in your house uses them and you just live there?
I told her no...she could not and not to worry about it.

Poor children of the world.

Kelly said...

I was a teen in the 80s and did my share of drinking and smoking. Not proud of it, but it is a fact. I have to say, I never heard of anyone wrecking from smoking pot, but drinking, well, we all know that causes problems. I think it should be legal. Not that I would do it now, but it really isnt any worse than drinking. My opinion of course. I am with you, the govt wants a way to tax it, to make money from it.