Tuesday, October 05, 2010

chicken laws, Springfield,Mo.


This was in a near by towns paper this morning !! Yay !! When you think of backyards in Springfield, you probably don't think of chickens, but that could change now that city leaders passed an ordinance allowing people to keep up to six hens within city limits.The move did not come without opposition from several council members. "We already have numerous complaints throughout the city involving bad neighbors, why are we going to add something else to that? We have a problem with stray dogs and feral cats and we have an insufficient staff with those already," said Councilman Jerry Compton.The final vote: 5 to 4. In the end, Mayor Jim O'Neal broke the tie in favor of chickens. "Some people are concerned that it makes us look awkward or backward but really it's the mark of a more progressive community to allow this to happen." There are a number of guidelines under the measure including a limit of six chickens per tract of land regardless of the number of houses or dwellings in the space, the animals have to be kept in a secured closure or fenced-in area, and owners have to keep the area sanitary. If there are complaints, the issue would be treated just like any other problem reported to the health department.The council will revisit the ordinance in a year. At that time they can determine whether changes need to be implemented or whether the measure needs to be stricken down altogether.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I see I can post now on your blog.....kris and Darrel got to Jeanie's friends house about 1AM I suppose....I am making banana bread and a cinnamon roll to take over there as soon as they are done...prob around 10...I think she lives about 6 miles from here..

I guess Bill is on plane he is supposed to land around noon....Mike is at work I guess so I got on the puter for just a few...no pass words though...
benjamin needs too go to school in 20 min...I hope the banana bread is done by then because I need to leave from there and go have theropy....It rained yesterday and today both...my old house may have droped the cieling by now...oh well nothing I can do about that let it pour....I am fine do not worry...

I think, hope, kris and Bill and family will be here tomorrow night for a birthday party for baby Seth...he was one sat... they are having a party for him sat and I will go but Kris will be gone by then....Duane's funeral is fri at 10...I re set my treatment for 3 in the afternoon...I do not think I will be able to drive by myself safely because I will need meds to make it through the funeral without going to pieces and rolling on the floor....oh well I am no worse off than I was with Mike because he NEVER took me to a funeral or a treatment...ever... I even drove to his dads funeral by myself...but I was niot upset like I am now ...then again neither was Mike...LOL true but sad...helen

Adirondackcountrygal said...

That is very progressive of that city. I wish I could talk my landlord into letting me keep a small coop in my back yard!