Monday, August 31, 2009

I remembered finally


Sammy has a yard ornaments he is going to sell and he wanted you to see it. I tried to get my brain in gear for the name. First I thought double shovel then I remembered that plow had two blades and was used to plow between the rows. finally the fog was cleared away and I remembered TURNING PLOW!
Daddy used a plow like this to break ground for his crops on his bottom fields, the furrows were deep and the new plowed ground would roll off the plow and lay like a ribbon on top of the the previous plowed furrow.
I would follow along in the furrow and look for arrow heads, snake eggs or what ever the plow brought to light. I remember the furrow would be two feet deep or better . Daddy would put his weight on the plow so that it would go very deep in the rich earth and earth had a rich smell as it fell from the blade giving promise of a new harvest if the sun blessed the crop and the rain fell to nourish the seeds.
I also remember daddy laying on the floor at night to rest his weary body from the day of labor.
Daddy's feet hurt him when he did this work and he always needed good shoes for the job. One time he went to town to buy a new pair of shoes after the first day of plowing to wear while he plowed. After the plowing was finished he wanted to go back to his old comfortable shoes and he ask mama where are my old shoes and she told him she had burned them. daddy said I can't lay any thing down with out mama getting rid of it.

5 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

I think all of us girls have a tendency to pile junk around but our Mama thought is 'If you are not going to use it in the next 10 minutes you might as well throw it away because chances are you will not be able to find it when you need it anyyway.'

Sister--Helen said...

sam that is a neat plow....

Galla Creek said...

I keep things. I guess opposite of Mom. I remember the earth turned by the plow. I can still recall the smell of the fresh clean soil. It is a good memory.

Snowbrush said...

I sat all day under a tree in a patch of poison ivy while a man plowed. As he and I walked back to his house, he said, "You must not be allergic to poison ivy." I didn't know if I was or not. Fortunately, I wasn't.

Judy said...

I remember my dad plowing with a push plow and me following behind just like you. I was looking for treasures in the soil. One time, he plowed up yellow bakelite bracelet. They are collectibles today. I still have that bracelet. I thought it was an Indian bracelet at the time!