Wednesday, September 02, 2009

loss


I went to gather eggs last night and one of my red hens was dead on the nest. I have read on the chicken sites that the sex link hens are prone to getting egg bound and I though it was folklore but maybe not. anyway I only have 5 red hens left from the chickens I bought last year. I have plenty of pullets that will start laying soon.
Some of the folk on the site described doing an examination of their hen trying to get the egg out not me even if I had know she was ill which I didn't I wouldn't have dug around in her to see if that was the problem. some thing are just more than I want to do. I think a sick chicken is a dead chicken either by dying on their own or by my hand.
It is cool again this morning. I heard rain on the roof for a few minutes at 5 O'clock.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

We are busy...work, work, work. I am not getting many eggs. Chickens have quit...I guess the time of year for it.