Friday, September 18, 2009

the price is growing


cleaning the rear...
For example, those living in the Northern parts of the world –in particularly, the Eskimos- used tundra moss when available in the summer months, and handfuls of snow during the balance of the year. Those living in coastal areas or tropical settings used mussel shells or old coconut shells, those living in the colonial times of America, when farming consisted of 75% of the U.S. practicing workforce used cobs of corn, or hung paper products in the form of mail order catalogs (Like that of Sears Roebucks, etc.). In ancient Rome, the popular item was a sponge attached to the end of a stick immersed in salt water. If this were the case today, don’t you think it’s possible that we might take the coined phrase, “wrong end of the stick” a little more seriously?
Zeth Wheeler patents rolled and perforated wrapping paper in 1871. By 1874 he had is own business the Rolled Wrapping Paper Company, but the company couldn't turn a profit. In 1877, Wheller reorganized into the Albany Perforated Wrapping Paper Company and began selling Perforated Toilet Paper ('The Standard') on a roll.
Do you give much thought to your buying habits and how much these have changed over the years? I remember when toilet paper was sold by the roll and the price was 10 cents Now there is a isle in the grocery store devoted to paper to use in personal hygiene.
There are 12 packs, 24 packs and single sheets, double sheets. perfumed rolls and colored paper.
I have traveled many miles since my mother wiped my bottom and the price for wiping the same has gone from 10 cents to several dollars a purchase.
I have to confess the in my childhood we had a out side toilet and we used any paper we could lay our hands on to wipe the rear, in fact I have used such natural products as large leave growing on a bush to cleanse the unspeakable places.
I have came a long way and the price for cleaning said places are climbing every day. I have read that in Europe they have toilets that clean your rear with a spray of water. I don't know if they drip dry or what but I am sure it is cheaper than " charmin."

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Times have changed.

Sister--Helen said...

and you know to me this is kind of like having running water...it is just not one of the things I am not willing to do without...right up the day I can't afford to eat...